“Our current gun culture ensures that more and more domestic disputes will end in the ultimate tragedy, and that more convenience store confrontations over loud music coming from a car will leave more teenage boys bloodied and dead. Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it.”
Costas is most likely a good man with good intentions and was moved like us all by this tragedy, however, I’m not sure which is more offensive; his arrogant disregard for propriety or his absolute disregard for common sense and fact.
Costas implies that our “current gun culture” ensures greater tragedy and claims that guns “tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation”.
- Maybe Costas can explain why Chicago implements perhaps the most restrictive gun laws in the country, yet the murder rate is sky-rocketing. (This is no statistical anomaly…throughout the country; we find that those cities with the highest violent crime rates also have the most draconian gun laws.)
- Or maybe explain why the most visible mass shootings happen in places such as schools, universities, etc…where guns are generally forbidden.
- Does Costas know that in cases where law abiding citizens report incidents involving a firearms, close to 98% of the time, simply BRANDISHING a weapon is deterrent enough…no shots are fired.
What about the line, “Handguns do not enhance our safety.”?
- Has Costas ever driven 500 miles and stopped at a highway rest stop at 2am?
- Has Costas ever been camping and been wakened by a hungry bear?
- Has Costas ever walked to his car in the dark, in an unsecured parking lot, by himself, after a late night at work?
- Has Costas ever stayed overnight at a budget hotel and heard someone turn the door handle?
- Has Costas ever lived in a rural area, miles from the police station, and had someone try to break in his house?
- Has Costas ever read John Lotts book which is an expansive study on gun control?
- Has Costas ever visited the Gun Clock website to get an idea of the THOUSANDS of times each year where citizens use a handgun to defend themselves against a crime? (http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/noframedex.html)
And then there was what I consider to be the most ridiculous part of the statement. "...if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today."
- Uhhh...maybe Bob missed that whole O.J. Simpson thing.
- Any man who would shoot a woman is sick and/or evil...they will find a way to act on that rage.
I’m sure Costas intended to do something positive with his little speech Sunday night, but like so many high profile gun control advocates, he lives life in a bubble of celebrity, comfort, fine dining, 1st class travel, and a secure home well in distant, upscale neighborhood… far removed from the daily concerns of average Americans.
Rather than projecting his fears of gun violence by “teenage boys” in “convenience stores”, Costas would be better served doing some research on gun violence, security, crime and liberty…at which point he may conclude that our 2nd Amendment RIGHT to keep and bear arms is a virtuous, wise and life-saving policy.
And maybe we could focus more on praying for the families of Jovan & Kasandra...and for the life of their daughter, Zoey.